The movie was a critical and commercial blockbuster, with many critics highlighting its visual style and humor. It earned more than $251 million in North America and $160 million internationally for a worldwide total of over $424 million. A sequel is scheduled to be released on May 18, 2018.
In the Lego universe, the wizard Vitruvius attempts to protect a superweapon called the "Kragle" from the evil Lord Business. He fails to do so, but prophesies that a person called "the Special" will find the Piece of Resistance capable of stopping the Kragle.
Eight and a half years later, a construction worker named Emmet Brickowski comes across a woman named Wyldstyle, who searches for something after hours at Emmet's construction site. When he investigates, Emmet falls into a hole and finds the Piece of Resistance. Compelled to touch it, Emmet experiences vivid visions and passes out. He awakens with the Piece of Resistance attached to his back in the custody of Bad Cop, Business' lieutenant. There, Emmet learns of Business' plans to freeze the world with the Kragle, a tube of Krazy Glue with the label partially rubbed out. Wyldstyle rescues Emmet, believing him to be the Special, and takes him to meet Vitruvius. Emmet learns that she and the wizard are Master Builders—people capable of building anything they need without instruction manuals—who oppose Business' attempts to suppress their creativity. Though disappointed to find Emmet is not a Master Builder, Wyldstyle and Vitruvius are convinced of his potential when he recalls visions of a humanoid deity called "the Man Upstairs".
Emmet, Wyldstyle, and Vitruvius evade Bad Cop's forces with the aid of Batman. They attend a council of Master Builders, who are unimpressed with Emmet and refuse to fight Business. Bad Cop's forces attack and capture everyone except for Emmet and a few others. Emmet devises a team plan to infiltrate Business' headquarters and disarm the Kragle. However, he and his allies are captured and imprisoned, and Vitruvius is killed by Lord Business, who sets his headquarters to self-destruct and leaves everyone to die. Vitruvius reveals he made up the prophecy as he dies, but soon reappears to Emmet as a ghost and tells him it is his self-belief that makes him the Special. Strapped to the self-destruct mechanism's battery, Emmet flings himself off the edge of the universe and saves his friends. Inspired by Emmet's sacrifice, Wyldstyle rallies the Lego people across the universe to use whatever creativity they have to build machines and weapons to fight Business' forces.
Emmet finds himself in the real world, where the events of the story are being played out in a basement by a boy, Finn, on his father's Lego set. The father—revealed as "the Man Upstairs"—chastises his son for ruining the set by creating hodgepodges of different playsets, and proceeds to permanently glue his perceived perfect creations together. Realizing the danger his friends are in, Emmet wills himself to move and gains Finn's attention. Finn returns Emmet and the Piece of Resistance to the set, where Emmet now possesses the powers of a Master Builder and confronts Business. Meanwhile, Finn's father looks at his son's creations and realizes that Finn had based the villainous Business on him. Through a speech Emmet gives Business, Finn tells his father that he is special and has the power to change everything. Finn's father reconciles with his son, which plays out as Business having a change of heart, capping the Kragle with the Piece of Resistance, and ungluing his victims with mineral spirits. As a result of the father allowing Finn's younger sister to join them in playing with his Lego sets, aliens from the planet Duplo beam down and announce their plans to destroy everyone.
- Emmet Brickowski: Chris Pratt
- Wyldstyle/Lucy: Elizabeth Banks
- Lord Business/ President Business, The Man Upstaris: Will Ferrell
- Vitruvius: Morgan Freeman
- Bruce Wayne/Batman: Will Arnett
- Benny: Charlie Day
- Unikitty: Alison Brie
- MetalBeard: Nick Offerman
- Bad Cop/Good Cop, Pa Cop: Liam Neeson
- Superman: Channing Tatum
- Wonder Woman: Cobie Smulders
- Green Lantern: Jonah Hill
- Finn: Jadon Sand
- C-3PO: Anthony Daniels
- Lando Calrissian: Billy Dee Williams
- Han Solo: Keith Ferguson
- Abraham Lincoln: Will Forte
- Gandalf: Todd Hansen
- Larry the Barista: Chris McKay
- Ma Cop, Gail: Melissa Sturm
- William Shakespeare, Sheriff Not-A-Robot: Jorma Taccone
- Shaquille O'Neal: Himself
- Surfer Dave/Micro Managers: Doug Nicholas
- Duplo Alien: Graham Miller
- TV presenter: Christopher Miller
Additional Voices Edit
- Plumber Joe: Chris Romano
- Frank the Foreman: Keegan-Michael Key
- Blake: Craig Berry
- Finn's Mother: Amanda Farinos
- Barry: Jake Johnson
- Wally: Dave Franco
- Velma Staplebot: Kelly Lafferty
- Robo Foreman: Chris Paluszek
The Lego Movie received universal acclaim. Review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes reported a 96% approval rating with an average rating of 8.1/10 based on 200 reviews. The website's consensus reads, "Boasting beautiful animation, a charming voice cast, laugh-a-minute gags, and a surprisingly thoughtful story, The Lego Movie is colorful fun for all ages." On Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 based on reviews from critics, the film has a score of 83 (indicating "universal acclaim") based on 43 reviews. According to CinemaScore polls conducted during the opening weekend, the average grade cinema goers gave The Lego Movie was A on an A+ to F scale. Filmmaker Edgar Wright and TIME Magazine film critic Richard Corliss have respectively named The Lego Movie as one of their favorite films of 2014.
- Academy Awards: Best Original song (Nominated)
- Golden Globes Awards: Best Animated Film (Nominated)
- BAFTA Award: Best Animated Film (Winner)
- Critic Choice awards: Best Animated Film (Winner) and Best Original song (Nominated)
- Denver Film Critics Association: Best Animated Film (Winner) and Best Original song (Winner)
- 3D Society Awards: Best Animated Film in 3D (Winner)
- Iowa film critics Association: Best Original Song (Winner)
- Austin Film Critics Association: Best Animated Film (Winner)
- Houston Film Critics Society Awards: Best Animated Film (Winner) and Best Original song (Winner)
- Hollywood Music in Media Awards: Best Original Song (Winner) and Best Original score (Nominated)
Related Media Edit
There will be a sequel coming out in 2019 called "The Lego Movie Sequel".